MTCC membership is open to any organization or person who is interested in reducing the burden of cancer in Montana. It feels good to get involved!
How Can I Help?
If you’d like to join, or get involved another way:
- Call (406) 444-7858
One of our Coalition leaders will get back to you.
Other Ways to Help
IF YOU ARE A MONTANA RESIDENT:
- Avoid tobacco use.
- Engage in at least 30 minutes of physical activity daily.
- Choose nutritious foods.
- Get recommended cancer screenings and encourage family members and friends to do the same.
- Become an active member of the MTCC.
- Participate and volunteer in cancer control activities in your community.
- Get recommended vaccinations such as Hepatitis B and Human Papilloma Virus.
IF YOU ARE A CANCER SURVIVOR:
- Share your experience to educate the public about the needs of survivors and the benefit of early screening.
- Mentor survivors and co-survivors to empower them to actively participate in their healthcare decisions.
- Join a support group.
- Encourage employers and schools to support cancer survivors and their needs as they transition through their cancer diagnoses.
- Join an advocacy group or organization, such as the MTCC, to improve survivor experiences and quality of life.
IF YOU ARE AN EDUCATOR:
- Promote healthy lifestyle behaviors to students, families, and staff.
- Provide information on the return-to-school transition process for childhood cancer survivors, families, and school staff.
- Encourage staff to get recommended cancer screenings.
- Provide healthy food and sun protective options to students and staff.
- Organize student advocacy groups to support cancer control activities.
- Learn how to work with kids and families when cancer touches their lives.
- Encourage cancer-preventing vaccines such as Human Papilloma Virus and Hepatitis B.
IF YOU ARE A HEALTHCARE PROVIDER:
- Ask all patients whether they use tobacco and other nicotine-delivery products and provide cessation interventions to patients who do.
- Support patients working to achieve or maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Recommend evidence-based cancer screenings to every eligible patient at every opportunity.
- Provide cancer patients with a comprehensive survivorship care plan.
- Pursue continued education to understand survivor needs and available best practices.
- Talk with patients about the benefits of palliative care and hospice.
- Work with the MTCC to include cancer control messages on display boards and advertising spaces.
- Recommend evidence-based vaccines to appropriate populations.
IF YOU ARE AN EMPLOYER:
- Provide access to tobacco-use cessation programs for employees.
- Implement a worksite wellness program.
- Encourage employees to be physically active and to select nutritious foods.
- Provide sun-protective gear or products for employees working outside.
- Provide full coverage for recommended cancer screenings and time off for employees to get screened.
- Provide information on return-to-work transition issues to survivors and their co-workers and implement systems to allow employees to continue their work during treatment.
- Keep worksites tobacco free.
IF YOU ARE A POLICY MAKER:
- Support policies to improve funding for cancer survivorship services, screening, treatment, research, and surveillance.
- Support policies that assist and encourage healthy lifestyle choices such as, tobacco cessation, decreased artificial tanning, increased physical activity, and improved nutrition.
- Support policies that improve access to healthcare, such as increase the number of Montanans signed up for affordable and adequate health insurance.